The exercise I am introducing today works multiple parts of me - my ARM/HAND/FINGERS - at the same time. I like to use a GOLF BALL for this exercise because (1) it is the right size for my index finger & thumb (my "pinchers") to grab & drop, (2) it is the right weight for my affected hand to hold onto, and (3) it certainly brings back very great memories of Annie’s golf, which encourages me during my therapy better than anything!!
1. Sit comfortably in a cushioned chair.
2. Place a blanket on top of your lap to catch the golf ball & avoid it from falling. The blanket also helps during the pickup stage.
3. Pick up the golf ball with your index finger & thumb.
4. Lift your arm up with the golf ball - use your unaffected arm (in my case, my left) to assist.
5. Drop the golf ball onto the blanket (on top of your lap). Be sure to OPEN your INDEX FINGER & THUMB to drop the golf ball.
6. Do this lift & drop exercise (at least) 25 times.
Be sure to check out my Instagram posts at “poststrokepeg.” God Bless You, Peg
“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” --Paulo Coelho